One of my favorite things about the Bible is how relatable it is! Here’s this book, that has been passed down for thousands of years, but it still makes sense in our world today. It has tons of examples for whatever life can throw at you.
A topic I love to read about in the Bible is thankfulness. There are so many Bible verses about thanksgiving that it would take months to cover all of them. Today I want to look at xx Bible verses about thanksgiving.
(Disclaimer- this post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase from one of these links, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you. All advice given is my own opinion and cannot be used as a substitute for consulting a medical or mental health professional. For more information, please view my disclaimer link page here.)
Examples of Thanksgiving in the Bible
We’ll get to the specific verses in a little bit. But before that, I want to look at some examples of thanksgiving in the Bible. Here are three people from the Bible that gave thanks to God.
Hezekiah was a king of Israel during a time when the people had turned away from God. Many kings before and after him set up idols and refused to worship the true God of their ancestors.
But Hezekiah was different. In 2 Chronicles 31, it tells that Hezekiah tore down all of the idols and again consecrated the temple for God.
Hezekiah also remembered to thank God. When he was healed from sickness, he offered a prayer of thanksgiving. You can find Hezekiah’s hymn of thanksgiving in Isaiah 38.
Anna is another excellent example of giving thanks to God. After losing her husband of only 7 years, instead of becoming bitter, Anna spent her time in service to the Lord.
While she was serving in the temple, Mary and Joseph brought Jesus in for his dedication. Anna immediately recognized Jesus. Luke 2 tells us that Anna thanked God for the Messiah. She also told everyone she saw about meeting the Christ child.
The apostle Paul often talked about giving thanks to God. He spent much of his time praying for his brothers and sisters in Christ.
Not only did he pray for their well-being, but he also thanked God for the blessings each church family had given him over the years. Paul was thankful no matter his circumstances. There are several examples of Paul thanking and praising God while in prison.
10 Bible Verses About Thanksgiving
I love reading all the examples of people giving thanks in the Bible. Now it’s time to get to the good stuff! Keep reading to find 10 of the most beautiful Bible verses about thanksgiving.
Bible Verses About Being Thankful for Our Blessings
One of the best ways to start being thankful is by remembering our blessings. Even when life is hard, and things aren’t going your way, there’s still something to be grateful for in life. Even if it’s as simple as a warm cup of coffee, it’s still a blessing.
The first 3 Bible verses on the list are about being thankful for our blessings. Each writer gives specific reasons they are thankful to God. Keeping a list of blessings is a great way to remember to be thankful.
- “When you have eaten and are satisfied, you shall bless the Lord your God for the good land which He has given you.” Deuteronomy 8:10.
- “I always thank my God for you and for the gracious gifts he has given you, now that you belong to Christ Jesus.” 1 Corinthians 1:4.
- “You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us, your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.” 2 Corinthians 9:11,
Bible Verses About Being Thankful in all Circumstances
Throughout the Bible, there are examples of praising and thanking God, no matter the circumstances. King David spent much of his life on the run from his enemies. But even through the chaos and uncertainty, David continued to thank God. Jesus also thanked God in all circumstances, even in the hours leading up to his arrest, trial, and crucifixion. Below are 4 Bible verses about thanksgiving in all circumstances.
- “Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18.
- “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.” Psalm 136:1.
- “Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.” Colossians 4:2.
- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” Philippians 4:6.
Bible Verses About Being Thankful When Life is Hard
Our last section was about being thankful in all circumstances. That’s easy to do when life is going okay. But I have to admit, I struggle with being thankful when things go wrong. Instead of being thankful for the many blessings I do have, I start asking God, “Why me?” Here are 3 of my favorite Bible verses about thanksgiving when life is hard.
- “I have said these things to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world, you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33.
- “He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” Revelation 21:4.
- “But I have trusted in Your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in Your salvation. I will sing to the LORD because He has dealt bountifully with me.” Psalm 13:5-6.
Give Thanks to God Always
Ephesians 5:19-20 reminds us to, “Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” No matter the circumstances we face we have so many reasons to thank God. Every morning we wake up is a new day and a new blessing. What are you thanking God for in your life?