Do you ever struggle with your faith? If you’re like me, your answer is probably a quiet “yes”. I don’t like to admit it, but I do struggle with my faith.
If you’re wondering what I do when I’m struggling with my faith you’re in the right place. The first place I go when my faith is down is straight to the Bible. In this post, I’m sharing my top 19 Bible verses for those struggling with faith.
(Disclaimer- this post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase from one of these links, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you. All advice given is my own opinion and cannot be used as a substitute for consulting a medical or mental health professional. For more information, please view my disclaimer link page here.)
Table of Contents
What Causes Loss of Faith?
What can cause people to lose faith? Several things can cause people to struggle with their faith. For me, I started questioning my faith when I was diagnosed with cancer.
I don’t mean that I struggled to believe in God. And I believed that Jesus died for my sins to save me. But having faith that everything’s going to be okay when you’re seriously ill is so so so hard!
I knew where I was going when I died, but I couldn’t help going down that dark road of doubts while processing that I had cancer. During that time, I found myself struggling to believe that I could make it through surgery and treatments. And I worried constantly about my family. How would my husband and I juggle surgery, hospital stays, and treatments with 3 small kids? I also worried about our finances. Would we be able to afford the medical bills?
Other people might struggle with their faith when they lose someone in their lives. They might lose faith when their careers come to a crashing halt and they are going broke. Some people have faith struggles when they pray and pray, but God says “no”.
Is it Normal to Doubt Your Faith?
When you’re struggling with your faith, you might feel like you’re the only one who does that. You probably think that you’re a “weak” Christian when you have doubts. But having doubts is very common, even in Christians. There are several examples of doubters in the Bible.
One of these is Asaph, who wrote many of the Psalms along with David. Even as a man of God, Asaph had his doubts. He noticed that those around him who didn’t serve God were doing much better than those who served God faithfully. He questioned whether staying faithful was worth it or not.
The disciple Thomas, often known as “Doubting Thomas” is probably one of the most well-known doubters in the Bible. After the crucifixion, many of Jesus’ disciples saw Him reappear to them, but Thomas wasn’t one of them. He doubted their story and told the others that he would not believe it until he saw that it WAS Jesus.
Although both of these men openly had doubts, they didn’t walk away from God. Instead, God took their doubts, drew them close, and renewed their faith.
Bible Verses for Those Struggling With Faith
We know struggling with your faith is common. Now, let’s look for some Bible verses to help with faith struggles. Here are 19 key Bible verses for those struggling with faith.
Bible Verses About Lack of Faith
I’ve never doubted that God exists, but I have doubted that He will do what he says He will do. I know that God can do great things. But I really don’t expect to see these great things happen.
When I was diagnosed with cancer, I just knew I was going to die. I was seeing the end of the road. That’s it, everything is over.
I had faith in God to save me, but I doubted that He would heal me. I had some faith, but my faith was lacking. These three Bible verses are about lack of faith.
- Jesus responded, “Why are you afraid? You have so little faith!” Then he got up and rebuked the wind and waves, and suddenly there was a great calm. Matthew 8:26.
- “You don’t have enough faith,” Jesus told them. “I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it would move. Nothing would be impossible.” Matthew 17:20.
- Then Jesus told him, “You believe because you have seen me. Blessed are those who believe without seeing me.” John 20:29.
Bible Verses for When Your Faith is Weak
Lack of faith can also be described as weak faith. Both of these phrases mean that you do believe in God. But your faith is not as strong as it could be.
When I start feeling depressed, it’s often because my faith is weak. In my mind, I know that God can do all things. I know He can and will bring me through the trials of life. Even knowing that fact, I still have a hard time moving past what I can do by myself. Here are four of my favorite Bible verses for those struggling with faith, but whose faith is weak.
- “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses so that the power of Christ can work through me. 2 Corinthians 12:9.
- If we are unfaithful, he remains faithful, for he cannot deny who he is. 2 Timothy 2:13.
- Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. Isaiah 41:10.
- But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31
Bible Verses for Building Your Faith
If your faith is lacking or feels weak, you need to know you aren’t alone. I’ve been there before. So have most people who follow Christ. It can be so hard to stay strong in the faith when the world is constantly beating you down.
If you’re struggling with a lack of faith, building a stronger faith will help your faith to grow. The two best ways I know to strengthen your faith are through Bible reading and prayer.
Prayer is our time to spend with the creator of the universe. How cool is that? My faith is strongest when I spend time in prayer every day.
Bible reading goes hand in hand with my prayer time. The Bible is God’s holy word. It’s there for you to turn when you’re struggling with faith. Here are four verses that have helped me build my faith.
- Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Philippians 4:6.
- But Moses told the people, “Don’t be afraid. Just stand still and watch the Lord rescue you today. Exodus 14:13.
- For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity but of power, love, and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7.
- I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4.
Bible Verses for Holding On To Your Faith
For those struggling with faith, it sometimes feels too difficult to keep going. When life seems hopeless, you feel like giving up. Holding onto your faith is almost impossible.
During the last 15 years, I’ve dealt with several chronic health issues. To me, it feels like as soon as I’m making progress, a NEW health problem pops into my life. It’s exhausting!
Most people deal with something in their lives that’s almost too much to handle. And guess what? We CAN’T handle it on our own. We need Jesus to walk with us through the hard stuff. He’s the one that will sustain you when nothing else does. These next four verses have helped me hold onto my faith.
- Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. Ephesians 3:17.
- Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13.
- I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. 2 Timothy 4:7.
- Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him. Psalms 62:5.
More Bible Verses About Faith and Trust
Here are a few more Bible verses for those struggling with faith. These are some of my favorite verses. I hope they bring you comfort when you’re struggling with your faith.
- Faith shows the reality of what we hope for; it is the evidence of things we cannot see. Hebrews 11:1.
- The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving. Psalms 28:7.
- Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. Romans 5:1.
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5.
Check out our Resource Library for Bible verse coloring pages and other free downloads!