We all go through hard times. For me, it seems like I’m always in the middle of a struggle, coming out of a hard time, or getting ready for a new one. Maybe you feel like your life is one constant struggle. Friend, I can totally relate!
There are several ways we try to deal with hard times in our lives. I’ve tried ignoring my problems, wallowing in them, and blaming everyone else. And guess what? None of those worked. Sometimes I even try to control my problems. If I can control every little detail of my life, all my problems will go away. Yeah, right!
Over time, I’ve found the only real way to keep going through the difficulties is through faith. I can’t handle these struggles on my own, so I have to hand my struggles over to God. But with my control-freak nature, that’s SO HARD!
How did I learn to trust God with my struggles? Prayer of course helps. I also started reading the Bible too. In it, there are tons of verses all about trusting God. For this post, I’m going to share with you 22 inspiring Bible verses about trusting God in hard times.
(Disclaimer- this post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase from one of these links, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you. All advice given is my own opinion and cannot be used as a substitute for consulting a medical or mental health professional. For more information, please view my disclaimer link page here.)
What Does the Bible Say About Trusting God?
Before we get into the inspiring verses, let’s look for a minute at what the Bible says about trusting God. Over and over again, there are verses about trusting, relying on, and waiting on God. If you look at the Greek and Hebrew texts, the words that mean the same as “trust” in English are used close to 200 times! And those are just the literal translation of the word.
The Bible is also full of stories about trusting God. There are tons of examples of people who trusted God during hard times. Here are just a few of them.
Bible Stories About Trusting God in Difficult Times
The Bible is full of stories about people who trusted God. All of them are meant to teach us and inspire us to follow Him. But my favorite Bible stories are about people who trusted God even when it wasn’t easy. These stories teach us all about trusting God in hard times.
The Story of Esther
The book of Esther is one of my all-time favorites. It’s an awesome story of redemption, hope, and courage. Esther was asked to risk her own life in order to save thousands of people from total destruction.
Orphaned and adopted by her cousin, Mordecai, a young Hebrew girl named Esther soon found herself as a favored queen of King Xerxes. While she was earning the king’s favor, an evil man, Haman, tricked the King into passing a law against the Hebrew people living in their land. Mordecai heard about the evil plot and asked Esther to talk to the king and plead for the lives of her people.
Even though she had the king’s favor, it was still against the law for Esther to go before the king without his permission. But she had no choice if she wanted to save her people. In Esther 4:16 she said, “Go gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.”
After fasting and praying, Esther went to see the king. She trusted God and was rewarded by the king being pleased to see her. She invited the king and Haman to dinner, where she eventually told the king and revealed Haman’s evil plan. Esther trusted God and showed courage even though it might have meant death.
The Story of David
King David’s life is another great story about trusting God through hard times. Early in his life, David was anointed to be king, killed the giant Goliath, and married the daughter of the current king. Everything seemed to be going his way. But that was soon about to change.
In 1 Samuel, we learn that King Saul soon became jealous of David. Because of this jealousy and hate, David ran from Saul for many years.
You can guarantee this was not at ALL how David expected his life to go. I’m sure he never imagined living in a cave hiding from the king. Wasn’t he supposed to be the king?
Still, even though his life took many twists and turns, David never stopped trusting God. Psalm 28:7 reads, “The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and He helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise Him.”
Throughout his life, David always trusted God. Yes, he made mistakes, and he also suffered huge losses. But his hope was always found in God. And he lived out that trust throughout his days.
The Story of Zechariah and Elizabeth
Elizabeth and Zechariah are two of my low-key favorite characters from the Bible. They are only in a small part of the Christmas story. But wow, what an important part it is!
During Bible times, a woman being barren was almost like a curse. Being unable to conceive a child was one of the worst things to happen to a family. Children, especially sons, would make sure the parents were taken care of in their old age.
Zechariah was a priest, and Elizabeth was a faithful Jewish woman. Even though they were both crushed by not having children, they still remained faithful to God. They still trusted Him even when their deepest desires went unfilled.
Fortunately for them, God was about to come through for them in a big way! In Luke chapter 1, it was Zechariah’s turn to bring the holy offerings to God, he was visited by an angel and told he and Elizabeth would soon have a son. The angel also told him he wouldn’t be able to speak again until the baby was born.
I’m sure they had some huge questions, and probably some worries, after hearing this news. How could Elizabeth even get pregnant at her age? Would it be safe? Even though they questioned, they still trusted God.
Because of their trust in God’s promises, Elizabeth and Zechariah were able to host Mary as she was pregnant with Jesus. Mary was there for the birth of their son, John. And they were blessed even more when John began telling the world that Jesus had come!
Bible Verses About Trusting God in Hard Times
Aren’t all those stories from the Bible inspirational? So many people have trusted God, even when life was a struggle. And he saw them through it. Life may not have turned out exactly how they had planned, but they always trusted God. They knew who He was and that He was always faithful.
Bible Verses About Trusting God When You Are Sick
Trusting God is super easy when everything’s going well. But what about when you get sick? Over the past 20 years, I’ve had several health issues invade my life. From cancer, high blood pressure, to chronic illness, it’s not always easy to trust God through sickness. I’ve had my share of questions. “ Why me?” is usually my favorite!
Sickness is part of this fallen world. Our bodies won’t last forever. But even though we may suffer through health issues, God has promised to never leave us. He’s with us ‘till the end.
- “ Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.” James 5:13-14.
- “ The LORD sustains him on his sickbed; in his illness you restore him to full health.” Psalm 41:3.
- “And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up.” James 5:15.
- “O LORD my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me. O LORD, you have brought up my soul from Sheol; you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit.” Psalm 30:2-3.
Bible Verses About Trusting God When You Are Afraid
When I was a kid, I thought that my parents weren’t scared of anything. Especially my dad! He always seemed to know exactly what to do no matter what.
Now that I’m an adult, I know that’s not true. Adulting brings just as many fears as childhood did for me. Maybe even more.
The only difference is the types of fears I have now. Instead of the monsters under the bed, I now have real monsters, such as chronic illness, the mortgage payment, and worrying about my own kids. Sometimes these fears can seem overwhelming!
Thankfully, we serve a God that is all-powerful. He knows our fears, and He’s there for us. He can help us get through anything the world throws our way.
- “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” Psalm 56:3
- “The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? The Lord is with me; he is my helper.” Psalm 118:6-7
- “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7
- “Fear not; you will no longer live in shame. Don’t be afraid; there is no more disgrace for you.” Isaiah 54:4.
- “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear…” 1 John 4:18.
Bible Verses About Trusting God When You Are Wronged
“It’s just not fair!” Have you ever said that? I know I said it to my parents, A LOT, as a kid, and I’ve caught myself muttering it under my breath even now. In fact, I’m pretty sure I’ve slipped that whiney sentence into a few prayers over the years. Haha!
We all feel like life isn’t fair sometimes. Maybe you were passed over for a promotion you worked so hard to get. Or you just found out a “friend” is spreading vicious lies about you and your family. Whatever the situation is, life is definitely unfair.
Fortunately for us, God is always fair. He is always faithful and just. He knew that we would all make mistakes. And He also knew that this world would hurt us.
I’m so thankful for Jesus! God made a way out of our messes by sacrificing His son to cover our sins. Just knowing this brings me hope for a better tomorrow.
Even if the world isn’t fair to you. Even if you’ve been hurt and wronged by so many people, Jesus will never hurt you. He will never leave you. You can trust God because of this fact.
- “No weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you.” Isaiah 54:17.
- “Who delivered me from my enemies; yes, you exalted me above those who rose against me; you rescued me from the man of violence.” Psalm 18:48.
- “Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God…” Romans 12:19.
- “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28.
Bible Verses About Trusting God Through Loss
Losing a loved one is a devastating event. It hurts your heart and rips your soul right down the middle. And your world will never be the same.
Losing someone you love deeply is the most difficult situation life can throw at you. It can be extremely hard to continue trusting God through the pain of loss. I’ve known several people who questioned God and their faith in the middle of life-shattering loss. They wonder how a loving God could allow such pain and suffering. I totally understand why they would have these thoughts.
Even when we question and doubt, God is still faithful. He still has a plan for your life. Yes, your life will never be the same. But He is there to hold you close. He wants to comfort your sorrows and help you put the pieces back together. And he promises to never leave you, no matter what.
- “He says, ‘Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.’” Psalm 46:10.
- “The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.” Psalm 145:18.
- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.” Proverbs 3:5.
- “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18.
More Scriptures for Trusting God in Hard Times
There are so many more scriptures about trusting God during stressful times in our lives. I would like to finish with a few more of my favorites.
- “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11.
- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7.
- “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9.
- “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?” Matthew 6:25.
- “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” Hebrews 13:8.
Be sure to check out our Resource Library for free printables and Bible verse coloring pages. And don’t forget to subscribe if you want to catch all future posts.