Whether it was an intentional insult or an offhand rude comment, people are going to hurt you. And in all honesty, you’ll end up hurting other people too. Knowing this, it’s important to learn to practice forgiveness. Thankfully, the Bible has answers to all of our everyday problems, especially the topic of forgiveness. In this post, I’ll share with you some of my favorite Bible verses about forgiving others!
(Disclaimer- this post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase from one of these links, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you. All advice given is my own opinion and cannot be used as a substitute for consulting a medical or mental health professional. For more information, please view my disclaimer link page here.)
Table of Contents
Why Do We Need to Forgive Others?
In order to make sense of the Bible verses on forgiveness, let’s first look at the reasons for forgiving others. Yes, forgiving others is important, but why do we need to forgive others? How does forgiveness help us and help others too?
Forgiving Others Allows Us to Move Forward
Forgiving someone for something they did to us is freeing in many ways. For starters, it allows us to move forward, instead of being stuck in the past. When we actively forgive someone, we begin the process of healing. And healing allows us to move forward.
This is especially true if we forgive someone who doesn’t ask for it. We may want to withhold forgiveness from them, which totally makes sense. But, sometimes forgiveness isn’t about the other person. Sometimes forgiveness needs to be done for our own sake. Forgiveness at these times allows us to move forward and get on with the rest of our lives!
Forgiving Others Helps to Mend Relationships
Another benefit of forgiving others is that it helps mend relationships. People in your life, including family and Christian brothers and sisters, will end up hurting you at some point. You will also do the same to others.
God calls us to live in community and to show His love through our relationships with our community. In order to have relationships, we need to be willing to forgive. Forgiveness is important not only between you and the other person but also for other people in your lives, too.
God Tells Us to Forgive Others
The most important reason to forgive others is that God tells us to do it! As Christians, we should be doing what God calls us to do. It’s important to remember this when dealing with other people.
There are many examples of God telling us to forgive others. Matthew 6:14-15 explains it very well, “If you forgive others for the wrongs they do to you, your Father in heaven will forgive you. But if you don’t forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.” After receiving God’s grace over and over again, we should be eager to willingly give it to others!
8 Favorite Bible Verses About Forgiving Others
God tells us to forgive others not only because it’s the right thing to do. We should also forgive to help ourselves grow in faith and to mend relationships in our community. Today I would like to share with you my 8 favorite Bible verses about forgiving others.
Scriptures Showing That Forgiving Others Helps Us
Forgiving others can help not only the others in our community, but it helps ourselves as well. The book of Proverbs reminds us to not take revenge. If we forgive, and wait on the Lord, he will take care of it in the end. We don’t need to repay anyone for evil done to us. God has it all under control.
The books of Isaiah and 2 Chronicles have similar promises. God promises that by asking for, and showing, forgiveness to others, he will hear us, forgive our sins, and bring healing to ourselves and those close to us.
- Proverbs 20:22- Do not say, “I’ll pay you back for this wrong!” Wait for the Lord, and he will avenge you.
- Isaiah 55:7- Let the wicked forsake their ways and the unrighteous their thoughts. Let them turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on them, and to our God, for he will freely pardon.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14- If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Bible Verses About Forgiving Others and Moving Forward
Forgiving other people helps us move forward in life. It helps us move forward in our relationships with other people. It also allows us grow and become stronger in our faith.
The book of James reminds us that by confessing our sins to each other, and praying over each other, we will be healed. In Hebrews, we learn that our church community can help us throw off the sin that keeps holding us back. And in Philippians we are reminded to give our cares and hurts over to God, which will bring us peace in Him.
- James 5:16- Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
- Hebrews 12:1- Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.
- Philippians 4:6-7- Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Bible Verses Where God Says to Forgive Others
God tells us to forgive others many times in the Bible. In Matthew, Peter asks Jesus how many times we should forgive someone, and is very surprised by the answer. Ephesians reminds us that we should be kind, compassionate, and forgiving, just as God forgives us through the sacrifice of Jesus. After all, that’s what it’s all about.
- Matthew 18:21-22- Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.”
- Ephesians 4:32- Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
I hope you’ve enjoyed my 8 favorite Bible verses about forgiving others. What are some of your favorite scriptures on forgiveness? Feel free to share below or send me and email. I would love to hear your ideas!
Be sure to subscribe to get the latest updates and free resources. Our latest FREE resource we have for subscribers is a set of printable Forgiveness Bible Verse Prayer Cards. Be sure to subscribe if you want to grab a copy! Enjoy a sample card below.