Living with chronic illness can be challenging, even in the best circumstances. Juggling medicines, doctor’s visits, keeping symptoms in check, and continuing to do it day after day is extremely overwhelming. More often than not, I find myself about to lose my mind when I have to deal with it all! Then, when I have a flare, or something else goes wrong, everything just seems to fall apart.
In my several years of experience dealing with chronic illness, one way that I’ve always found comfort is through scripture. The Bible has always been a source of hope for me. This became even more true when I was diagnosed with cancer several years ago, and the other health issues that have followed. So today, I am sharing my xx favorite chronic illness Bible verses.
(Disclaimer- this post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to purchase from one of these links, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you. All advice given is my own opinion and cannot be used as a substitute for consulting a medical or mental health professional. For more information, please view my disclaimer link page here.)
Table of Contents
What is Chronic Illness?
So, what exactly is a chronic illness? A chronic illness is defined as an illness that lasts for several months to more than a year. A person suffering from a chronic illness may need ongoing care by a healthcare professional throughout the rest of their life. Several studies show that between 4-6 out of every 10 people will be diagnosed with at least 1 chronic disease during their lifetime.
Why Does God Allow Chronic Illness?
One question most of us ask is why does God allow chronic illness? Why does he allow hurt and suffering to even exist in this world?
Friend, I don’t have all the answers to the questions. I know that we live in a fallen world. Since sin entered it, there will be pain and suffering. And sickness goes along with that. So I’m sure that’s part of it. But I also know that God has the power to do anything that he wants to do, and he also sees the big picture that we don’t see. So I think there’s a little more to it than that.
Chronic Illness Helps Us Put Our Trust in God
For one thing, chronic illness, or any type of trials we go through in life, helps us to put our trust in God. God’s got this, and we don’t. Isaiah 26:5 reminds us to, “Trust in the Lord always, for the Lord God is the eternal Rock.”
God is everlasting and can see the big picture. When we’re down and out, hitting rock bottom, the only place to look is up. Chronic illness can bring you to this rock bottom place. By putting your trust in God, you can begin to come out of it again.
Chronic Illness Teaches Us to Show Compassion
Chronic illness, and other types of suffering, give us opportunities to show compassion. When we know of someone suffering from a chronic illness, it gives us an opportunity to show compassion toward them.
We can show them compassion in many different ways. Helping their family with errands, donating money for extraordinary medical bills, or just being a good friend are all ways to show compassion to anyone struggling in life. And of course, don’t forget to pray for them!
We can also learn to be on the receiving end of that compassion whenever we are suffering from chronic illness. It can make you feel weird at first, but you need to allow your friends and family to be a blessing to you when you’re suffering, too!
14 Chronic Illness Bible Verses
The Bible is full of scripture to cover any issue you may be dealing with, and chronic illness is no exception. So here are 14 of my favorite chronic illness Bible verses to help bring your comfort when you’re hurting.
Chronic Illness Bible Verses for Comfort
When my chronic illness is at its worst, what I need most are words of comfort. Someone to tell me that everything is going to be alright. These 4 chronic illness Bible verses are perfect for that! These scriptures are God speaking comfort over us, reminding us that He’s in charge and will never leave anyone who calls on His name!
- Now let your unfailing love comfort me, just as you promised me, your servant. Psalm 119:76 (NLT)
- Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28 (NLT)
- As for me, I look to the Lord for help. I wait confidently for God to save me… Micah 7:7 (NLT)
- “Comfort, comfort my people,” says your God. Isaiah 40:1 (NLT)
Chronic Illness Bible Verses for Healing
When you suffer from chronic illness, healing is a natural urge our human bodies want. We want to be healed, and the Bible tells us to bring that request to God.
But, we do need to realize that God might not heal us. His answer might be, “Not yet.” And sometimes, even though it’s hard to accept it, our healing might not come until heaven. These 3 chronic illness Bible verses remind me that it’s okay to ask God for healing.
- O Lord, if you heal me, I will be truly healed; if you save me, I will be truly saved. Jeremiah 17:14 (NLT)
- And he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace. Your suffering is over.” Mark 5:34 (NLT)
- Are any of you sick? You should call for the elders of the church to come and pray over you, anointing you with oil in the name of the Lord. Such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make you well. And if you have committed any sins, you will be forgiven. James 5:14-15 (NLT)
Chronic Illness Bible Verses for Strength
For many people, a huge symptom of chronic illness is weakness. It might be because of muscle or joint weakness from their specific disease. Or it might be the constant medications and illnesses they come down with by being immunocompromised. Whatever it is, most people with chronic illness would like to be stronger.
These next four chronic illness Bible verses are all about strength. They remind us that we can find our true strength in God alone.
- Search for the Lord and for his strength; continually seek him. 1 Chronicles 16:11 (NLT)
- For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7 (NLT)
- But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NLT)
- So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you. Deuteronomy 31:6 (NLT)
Bible Verses for Others Who are Hurting
One thing rheumatoid arthritis has taught me is that everyone has struggles. Everyone is hurting at one time or another. As chronic illness survivors, we should have empathy, and be ready to lend a hand to others going through a similar battle. Here are 3 verses to remind us to lift up others when they are struggling, too.
- Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2 (NLT)
- Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep. Romans 12:15 (NLT)
- The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed. Psalms 34:18 (NLT)
I don’t know what your life looks like, or what you have to deal with every day. My hope is that these verses will bring you comfort and strength as you face your chronic illness battles. Please comment below or message me privately if I can pray for you or help in any way.
As a freebie for all subscribers, I’ve created scripture prayer cards to go along with this post. Check out the free sample below. If you’re interested in grabbing the rest of the set, be sure to subscribe with the included form!